Monday, February 18, 2013

Wipe the tears from my face!





This ‘flowing’ image of Our Lady was captured on Thursday, September 14, 2006, the Feast of the Triumph of the Cross. The reflection appears on the ‘weeping’ knee of the the Risen Christ sculpture in Medjugorje. The picture card is the one handed to pilgrims at Fr Jozo’s talks. The reflection was recorded unintentionally and not composed by the photographer. Those familiar with the Risen Christ sculpture will know that water has been ‘weeping’ from the knee area of the structure since the summer of 2000. No ‘official’ explanation of the phenomenon has ever been given.

I didn’t know at the time I had captured this image. I had asked an Italian pilgrim to hold up the prayer card so I could take a photograph, but she kept slapping the card onto the leg of the Risen Christ, and so I gave up trying and instead started to pray the Way of the Cross that circles the Risen Christ sculpture.

It was at the sixth station, Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus, that I sensed I should take a look at the pictures I had taken earlier. It was only then I saw what is presented above. Here I was, standing in front of the station where Jesus had placed his image on the cloth offered by Veronica, and now holding in my hands a similar gift, an impression of the face of the Blessed Mother from a prayer card which had reflected for just a brief second on the polished leg where water flows out of the Risen Saviour sculpture.

It’s not a ‘miraculous’ photo – I know how it was produced, technically and first hand. At the time, I did wonder if there was a ‘gift’ dimension to what had happened, as I had recently buried my mother and her brother a week earlier.

Weeks later, someone informed me Veronica is the patron saint of photographers!

I need you! I am calling you! I need your help! Reconcile with yourself, with God, with your neighbours. In this way you will help me. Convert the non–believers. Wipe the tears from my face! Message to Mirjana, December 2, 2004